Saturday, March 10, 2012

Day 13 & 14: 40 Days & 40 Nights of Lenten Kindness

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." ~ Dalai Lama

Lent Day 13: I've been wondering if I'm crazy, but I do have to admit I may be a little crazy, especially, if I continue to do what I do for a living. I do more research and reading after college than I did in college. I am thankful to have an education and the ability to practically apply it to my everyday life, and work.

I took a friend out to dinner, and had a really nice conversation about life and what battles we have st
rength to fight. Some battles aren't worth the effort, and at times we just have to walk away, but there are others like being strong enough to help your young daughter battle cancer, now that's a fight worth continuing. It's good to be able to support a friend during a hard and stressful time in their life, and to show loving kindness. It doesn't take much to be present in someone else's life. ♥

Lent Day 14: I do a lot of youth mentoring, and now with this whole focus on school bullying I've had lots of request for meetings, trainings, and workshops. Today, I had a request from a Rabbi to meet with her Bar Mitzvah student and help him find some research on bullying & vandalism. He's going to give a sermon about how we can help to prevent bullying and discrimination. I was honored to be part of his passing into manhood, I thought it was a wonderful topic to teach to his other synagogue members.

I also spent an hour talking to a youth about suicide and depression. It's important to have the hard conversations with young people if we don't how will they know what to do when they are faced with challenges and there is no one they can call. We have to equip and empower young people to make the best choices for themselves, even if that means taking an hour out of your life to explain to them in detail what that means and looks like.

No comments: