Here I am, once again, trying to make sense of my life and doing it through Lent. Do we really need to sacrifice and give up things in order to feel close to god or the holy spirit? I've been so disappointed by religion and religious institutions that I have come to accept I will never be part of a church or religious organization, ever again. I have found too much hypocrisy and judgement among people who consider themselves children of god or followers of Christ. When someone says they are Christian, but have no idea what Ash Wednesday or Lent is, and says only Catholics practice that, well, you are only Christian in name and not in practice. Lenten season is as important, if not more important in the Christian faith. The time that leads up to the Crucifixion of Christ is the story that has either brought peoples together or torn them apart. Jesus Christ would not be Jesus Christ if he didn't rise from the dead after three days. If Jesus did not resurrect, he was just another dude who shared stories about God to his peoples, or whoever would listen.
Being judgy, looking down on people, pretending you somehow are a good person because you go to church every Sunday, but you don't actually live the message of Christ in your daily life. Loving your neighbor, forgiving those who have sinned, not judging, and helping those who are in need. I don't care how much money you give, if you sit on a church committee, or go to church regularly, if you're not walking the talk and doing the things Jesus Christ did in his days, today, than you are not Christian. You are a poser. No amount of money or amount of time sitting in a church pew will help get you into Heaven, if you believe in that. Because, if you're an asshole here, most likely you'll be an asshole there, and I would imagine St. Peter will be very judgy of you when you get to those "Pearly Gates." You can't buy yourself into Heaven, it specifically says that in the Bible, if you've actually read it and not just spout regurgitated BS.
I'm fine. I know that I have lived a good life, and done the things to ensure I will be well taken care of when I pass. I live my life with integrity, compassion, and passion for justice versus needing to pretend I'm something on the outside, but totally morally bankrupt on the inside. Some folks would think I'm a jerk, but really I'm just honest and straight forward. I don't care for pleasantries or talk which lacks emotional depth. We have no time for that. People are suffering and we are doing nothing to help those who are suffering the most. We are wasting our time on wanting people to like us, when others are dying from lack of love and humanity.
"Kid President explores people's different ideas
about how to make the world better. What do you think is the best way to
change the world?" Published on Dec 19, 2013
I don't need a church to tell me I'm a good person. I know I'm a good person, because I choose to live my faith through my actions and through my life. I am resolute in my faith and belief, and I accept and honor the 6 billion different ways people in the world choose to practice their faith and belief. Just as long as it doesn't harm me or others in the world.
28 One of the teachers
of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a
good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most
important?"
29 "The most
important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord
our God, the Lord is one.
30 Love the Lord your
God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with
all your strength.'
31 The second is this:
'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than
these."
32 "Well said,
teacher," the man replied. "You are right in saying that God is one
and there is no other but him.
33 To love him with all
your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love
your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and
sacrifices."
34 When Jesus saw that
he had answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom
of God." And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.
It is hard to love your God or your neighbor as you would love yourself if you do not love yourself. The greatest commandment is to love yourself, your neighbor, and your god equally. Unfortunately, that's not how many folks interpret scripture. We use and bastardize religious scripture to hurt and harm others. To justify killing, oppression, and enslavement. We forget the greatest commandment is to love your neighbor as you love your god and yourself.
For #Lent2015 I would hope folks will learn to love themselves, and maybe, just maybe we can change the world, by changing ourselves. Peace!


No comments:
Post a Comment