Thursday, March 28, 2013

Maundy Thursday 2013

"...Maundy Thursday. The word "Maundy" comes to us as an Anglo-French word derived from the Latin "mandatum," which means "commandment." It refers to when Jesus, in the Upper Room during the Last Super, said to the disciples: "A new commandment I give you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another." (John 13:34, Revised Standard Version).

Maundy Thursday (or Holy Thursday) is the Thursday before Easter. Most Christian churches in mainline denominations, and some of the more fundamental churches, commemorate Maundy Thursday in some way, but the types of services vary greatly..." (From "Why Do We Call It 'Muandy Thursday' and 'Good Friday?'")


Maundy Thursday, the last supper that Jesus celebrated with his apostles before he was crucified on the cross which we christians like to call Good Friday (weird). Just an FYI, we all know that Jesus was a good Jewish boy and most likely was having passover dinner with his buddies.

A lot of folks spend Easter weekend with their families, I just want to remind people that the last supper Jesus shared were with a bunch of dudes he met on his journey spreading the "good news," not necessarily people he was related to. the table should be open to everyone, not just a chosen few if we truly want to live the way that Jesus did. in our brokenness we will become whole again.


Who wants to go break some bread and love one another; even as I have loved you?

 

No comments: