Saturday, February 16, 2013

Lent 2013 Reflection: Asal

I learn more about living life through death. Asal would be 38 this year, her birthday was on January 16th. We'd be the same age right now if she was still alive. She use to give me a hard time about the fact that she was younger than me, but only by 6 months.

We live our lives as if, we will never die. But, in all honesty we should live our lives knowing one day, maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe 50 years from now, we will, eventually die. By our own hand, by accident, or by disease. We all die.

We can either live large, out loud, and dream big. Or, we can live our lives scared, frightened, worried about what people think of us, want for us, or lie about us.

What I believe, is if I live my life honestly, with deep integrity, and meaning, I would hope the legacy I leave behind is of hope.

Hope that we can be bigger than where we come from. Hope that we don't have to live up to stereotypes. Hope that the brown people aren't always the bad guys, or the oppressed, or the ones that need to be saved. That we can be heroes and heroines of our own stories. That we can free ourselves from whatever struggle or oppression that hold us back or down. That we can be our own salvation.

Our lived stories. Our historical traumas. They can be hard, cold, and scary. They run deep inside of us. We can try to escape from them. Run, hide, or fight. We are all running, hiding, or fighting our imaginary and sometimes real demons. It doesn't mean we should give up on our own humanity. It means we have to try harder, love ourselves more, and heal. 


Forgive and heal.

I am bigger than my hurts.
I am bigger than my failures.
I am bigger than my mistakes.

This is my life. I choose to not play small or hide the light that wants to shine inside of me.
I will not be guided by other peoples fear.

I choose to devote my life to service, because I believe in my fellow human beings. We can all achieve greatness if we strive to do better for each other.

I wish, I could have done more for my friend. I wish she could have known she was good enough. Her death, gave me, my life back.

Because of my depression, I spent 33 years of my life wishing I was dead.

I know, now, I am enough. This life I have. Is enough.


No comments: