So, here is my story. A small look into what makes me who I am. Not my whole story because it's still being written, but the part I want to share with you today.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Just write your story. Don’t worry about whether
someone else has written it. Perhaps while you are worrying and not writing,
someone else will write it and publish it."
- Neil Gaiman
I am an immigrant. My family came to the United States in
1978, during the Marcos regime; my father was seeking political asylum. He
first came to St. Paul, Minnesota, and then my mother, my brother and sisters
followed. We didn’t have much when we
arrived in the States, just the clothes on our back and whatever luggage we
were allowed to bring with us. We had to
start all over again. My mother had only
a high school education and her English was not very good, but my father had a
university education and was able to find work as a professional. He was a Certified Public Accountant (CPA),
and if anyone knows what that means, taking a CPA exam and passing it is
difficult to do -- especially if English is not your first language.
We moved to California, where some of our extended family
lived. To be honest, my parents were not accustomed to Minnesota winters after
living their whole lives in tropical weather.
My parents were in their 40s at this time. So, imagine what it’s like to live your
entire life in a country where you’ve made your home, your family, your whole
life and then have to rebuild and create a new life in a new land, so foreign
that it’s like a different planet. We
were strangers in a strange land.
I grew up in what you would consider the ghetto, but I did
not know we were poor because everyone else around us was poor. My parents worked so much and so hard that
they were able to provide us with things that made us feel rich. Because they worked so much, I grew up
without a lot of parental supervision.
My mom was an amazing mom. She
worked full-time, but we always had three hot homemade meals a day and we
usually sat around the table during meals together. These were times I remember fondly and
cherish with my family.
I am the youngest of four (five including my brother who died at age 5 of tuberculosis) children, six (living), technically,
including my half-brother and-sister. My
father had another family with his mistress I found out about this when I was
13. We all live some form of a lie or
another. He had this family before we
immigrated to the U.S. and they were left behind.
My dad was a good man. He provided for us, and he also worked himself to death to provide for his second family. They didn’t have the same opportunities as I did, but they were able to get an education, and when I was in high school he brought them over, so they could have a better life here, too. My mom and dad remained married until my dad passed away. My mother is a very good woman who quietly raised her children while also living with the knowledge that my father had cheated on her.
My father used to tell me I was “stupid and wouldn’t amount
to much” during his stressed out rants.
Did I mention he was bi-polar? I
knew he was just worried that I wouldn’t have a good life, and I wouldn’t be
accepted in the community because I chose to come out gay and live my truth and
be my authentic self. At some point, I
believed him. I had a complicated and
hard relationship with my father, but I know he loved me, in his own way. I spent my whole life trying to seek my
father’s approval, and I’ve spent my whole life trying not to be like my
father. But still, in many ways, I am my
father’s daughter. My family continues
to struggle with the repercussions of my father’s choices: my mother’s children
are collectively terrible in romantic, intimate relationships. There are five divorces between the four of
us, six if I were legally able to marry (does ending a domestic partnership
count?). My father also bankrupted the
family twice by the time I was in high school because of his choices. The college fund that I thought my parents
were putting money in no longer existed, and I had to pay for my college on my
own. This was news to me once I
graduated high school. Getting to where
I am today was not an easy or clear path for me. There were many obstacles and detours along
the way. My past does not dictate my
future and I was not going to let anything hold me back. I do believe that my experiences have made me
into a person that can overcome any adversity.
It’s not easy watching someone die. My father was diagnosed with lung cancer in
2007. It would have been his 70th
birthday. My mom and dad had retired and moved back to the Philippines. I had not seen them in four years and was
looking forward to seeing my family again.
We were going to use the opportunity for all my brothers and sisters to
get together, since most of us all lived in different states at this time. My parents canceled their flight and my
father had 60 percent of his left lung removed and started chemotherapy. We hoped for a better prognosis. His health improved, but I knew he was dying.
My brother (who is actually my half-nephew, but was adopted by my parents) called me in October 2009 and said, “Dad is
really sick. You have to come.” He meant, “This is it, and this is probably
the last time you’ll get to see him, come home.” My relationship with my father was very
complicated. He was a hard man and had a
lot of troubles. He was mentally and
physically abusive to me growing up, but he taught me a lot about life,
integrity, and family. We had moved past
my childhood hurts, and years of therapy helped me to move to a better place in
my head and heart around my feelings with my father.
I braved the 14-hour flight to go back home, with my partner
at the time by my side. It’s not easy
watching someone die, especially a man who was the foundation of your
family. He was such a strong and looming
figure in my life growing up; now he was emaciated, old, and gray. Dying from lung cancer is as if you are
drowning. You can’t breathe and the
pressure of liquid filling your lungs is painful and uncomfortable. As he lay dying in the hospital bed,
something changed and shifted in me. I
felt as if I was drowning. If you have
ever experienced this, you would understand how something inside of you can
either harden or soften or both. I hope
not very many people will have to experience watching someone they love
die. I forgave him. I forgave him for everything. I told him he was a good man, and he did the
best he could with what he had. He was
from a different time and a different era, he didn’t know. I forgave myself, too.
I try not to make much out of folks who try to condemn,
judge, or look down on me, they don’t know me, and they don’t know my
story. They don’t know what I’ve seen
and what my mind had to wrap itself around in order to make sense of a world
that doesn’t truly accept me or thinks I’m “different.”
My dad would be proud of me today, and I know my dad was always proud of me; he just had a really funny way of showing it. I don’t tell people very often about my family history because I don’t want people to look at me with pity. I had and have a good life, an amazing life filled with hardships and triumphs. My father was a public servant until he retired; he was a senior CPA for Alameda County, California. I know if my dad was here today he would be so pleased knowing that I was working on the Governor’s Task Force, working for the people. He loved this country, he was proud to be an American citizen (he was also a Republican), and I was proud the day I received my naturalization papers when I was 18. It was because of him that I love my country (both of them) and that I do what I do in the world. I want everyone to have the opportunity to have a better life, to live the American dream, no matter what your story or background may be. Mine is just one of many. I honor my father everyday by being the best human being I can be. I am my father’s living legacy.
My dad would be proud of me today, and I know my dad was always proud of me; he just had a really funny way of showing it. I don’t tell people very often about my family history because I don’t want people to look at me with pity. I had and have a good life, an amazing life filled with hardships and triumphs. My father was a public servant until he retired; he was a senior CPA for Alameda County, California. I know if my dad was here today he would be so pleased knowing that I was working on the Governor’s Task Force, working for the people. He loved this country, he was proud to be an American citizen (he was also a Republican), and I was proud the day I received my naturalization papers when I was 18. It was because of him that I love my country (both of them) and that I do what I do in the world. I want everyone to have the opportunity to have a better life, to live the American dream, no matter what your story or background may be. Mine is just one of many. I honor my father everyday by being the best human being I can be. I am my father’s living legacy.
I am the American dream.
Edited by: Leah Nelson and Candy Czernicki

No comments:
Post a Comment