Friday, January 14, 2011

New Year's Resolution 2011: Week 1

It has been pretty easy so far to stick to my resolution. Kayla, not so much. She says that it's my thing and she'll just do whatever I want in the house and support me in my endeavor. But, with her work she is more flexible, with cheating. She, forgot to bring a lunch to work and ended up going to Wendy's. She did say the salad she ordered was terrible. Here is my initial list of things I'm trying to do or not do.
  • No Fast Food Restaurants
  • Try not to eat at restaurants in general; if, I do, not waste any food by over ordering.
  • No Buying Unnecessary things/items from any large retail stores (dog food exception). Going to see if I can make dog food.
  • No shopping at Commercial Grocery Stores
  • Shop at Farmers' Market/buy locally, purchase items with no or less packaging
  • Try to find things for FREE or on the cheap
  • Not buy into the whole capitalistic consumerism
  • Use Less, Buy Less, Reuse more, and Waste less
This is my general list of things to do for the year.

I'll have more specifics as the weeks and months go by. Kayla and I did goto our first Winter Farmers' Market here, in Rochester. Because, we are in the mid-west there are lots of farms around us, so there is more stuff offered than you'd expect. They even have dairy, meats, fresh vegetables, jams, olive oil, and furniture.




Here is an article about a lady that spent a year without shopping at a grocery store: http://food.change.org/blog/view/one_womans_year_without_a_grocery_store
I think making more mindful choices about what we eat and how our food is being made will make the large food manufacturers become more conscientious about how to produce food...REAL food. Heart disease is the silent killer in this country, more folks die from heart attacks & strokes compared to car accidents or terrorist attacks.
We eat too much salt and prepackaged foods. We should learn to slow down, make our food from fresh ingredients, enjoy our food, our life, and just...slow down.

We can do more with less. I promise!

2 comments:

EllakBlogger said...

Just found yer blog!

I think this is great Vangie!
I'd like to do a lot more of it too. I hate buying my veggies in so much packaging. Gotta convince Laura that in the winter it's ok to eat a different variety of fresh veggies. That frozen veggies are ok too.

I'm pretty sure i don't have time to give up all package foods (meaning, loaves of bread, yogurt, etc.) I don't have time to make bread and yogurt. Though now that it's cold breaking bread sounds nice.

I like this idea better than the don't shop til there's no food in your house. I'm all for cleaning out the cupboards a bit, but i'd sorely lack fruit, veggies and dairy.

laura makes her own dog food, she can give you some recipes, advice.


we're also trying to increase our number of vegetarian days. I like meat, but it's a big burden on teh planet.

vangie castro said...

I was talking to someone about this and I told her that I'm still working out the idea of wanting to still support local business's especially, small business's. I think it's possible to buy bread either from the farmers that grow the wheat then make the bread and use your own bag or just get it from "great harvest" and not take it in a bag.

it is hard. we have to be very mindful of all the purchasing choices we make on a daily basis.

unless, i totally drop off the grid, i'm trying to make being GREEN possible for everyone, even really busy folks or really lazy folks.