Facebook status the night before we leave for the Philippines to see my parents:
We are getting ready to leave on a jet plane. I am sending love to all my friends and family. Wish us safe passage. Hugs! ♥
October 5, 2009 (Bay Area time)
October 6, 2009 (Dumaguete, PI time)
Day 1: In Dumaguete, Philippines. We arrived in one piece. It is crazy hot and humid...not surprised. We are with my momma and nephew...gonna go to the hospital and see my dad.

Day 3: Not so good news.

Day 4: Raining the past 2 days. Thank you all for your words of love, support, and sympathy. I'm still breathing.

Day 5: My Tagalog is sketchy at best. This place is strange and unfamiliar, it's hard to navigate around in this place and get what needs to be done, done. At times I feel like I’m living a bad "lifetime" movie.
Day 6: power out all day; Benadryl, and bug bites, it's not a vacation, but we are trying to make the best of things.

Day 7: More of the same. I’m starting to get use to being here, but looking forward to going home too. Where ever that is...Oakland or Oklahoma?

Day 8: Day 8: internet down. We went to a resort to swim in a pool half the day. We visit the hospital twice a day, sometimes 3. i guess it is what it is, for now.
Day 9: My brother arrived today, a relief to have another family member here.
Day 10: I’m just going through the motions. I try to find happy moments during such a sad time. But, it’s getting easier to be upbeat and strong.
Day 11: thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words. At this point it's a waiting game. We went to see a waterfall then went back to see my dad in the hospital.
Day 12: this island is beautiful. I’m going to miss this place and my family when I leave. Finding those places in-between, and figuring out what it all means.
Day 13: getting closer to the end.
October 19, 2009
Day 14: most likely said my last goodbye to my farther. So much pain, I hope he finds peace soon. We are getting on a plane heading back to the bay area. Hello and goodbye all over again.
Oct. 23, 2009: Vangie is in Monrovia, ca just outside of Pasadena. Heading to Madrid, New Mexico in the morning, should be there by Friday night. Got the news while half way between SF & LA. Rest in peace dad, you're with me wherever I go, I ♥ you!
My dad passed away on October 23, 2009 at 1:25 am Philippines time. I was driving towards southern California half-way between Oakland and Pasadena.
We all make mistakes and sometimes my dad was stern and hard to get along with. But, I did and still do love my father. Always. Rest in peace Vids Vidal Roa Castro, husband, father, grandfather, uncle, brother, and all around great guy. you were and will continue to be remembered and loved.










No comments:
Post a Comment