Friday, December 01, 2006

it smells like a dead rat...

The best thing about being in a relationship is the weird little happenings and day to day goings ons that keep things interesting. For the past week my girlfriend kayla has been obsessed with this mystery odor that has been emanating from the refrigerator. Everyday for the past week she has stopped me at different points during the day to stick my head in the fridge and locate this smell. She is convinced that it’s a dead rat; I tried to reassure her that I didn’t think we had rats in the building but I know our upstairs neighbor fosters at least 6 bunny rabbits. I really didn’t think one of them could have gotten out and died in our freezer.

Can you imagine the two of us bent over, fridge door wide open, with our heads stuck in and us sniffing around. Since I have quit smoking my sense of smell has been sort of off. I haven’t really smelt this horrible odor as much as kayla has, even the other day my co-worker asked me to taste this soup because she said it smelt like athletes feet. Why I tasted it I’m not sure but I couldn’t taste anything weird about it but later in the evening I had a really bad tummy ache. I told kayla that most likely we would have to take everything out of the refrigerator and just clean it all out top to bottom. That this was most likely the only way we’d be able to rectify the problem.

Last night kayla calls me at work and tells me, “guess what, I did something really great?” and I ask, “did you win the noble prize for peace?” she said, “better!”, I wasn’t sure what could be better than that and I said I couldn’t guess. “I got rid of the smell in the fridge. I took everything out and cleaned out the fridge and threw away what I thought might have been cause of the smell”. That was great I told her and laughed to myself. But, when I got home I was looking into the freezer for something to eat, kayla asked me if I had farted, and I said no. well, she said that she smelled that smell again. the mystery continues. She will get to the bottom of that dead rat smelling odor if that means she has to throw every bit of food we have into the garbage and simple green everything.

I’m telling you that this kind of drama is way more interesting than any kind of relationship drama that I’ve had to deal with within the last 3years. no, trying ot define what "we" have or wanting to date other people or hidden craziness (i'm all about putting the craziness out in the open). i enjoy just living life and being happy about what i have, what "we" have and the simple ness of it all. there is still a war in iraq, but the power has shifted and the people have awoken from complacency. now we just wait and see what the rest of our future has in store for us.

I am thankful for small miracles, i am thankful for my amazing girlfriend and I’m thankful for being able to find the beauty in a stinky refrigerator.

No comments: