Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Lent 2013: Day 7


"I am so thankful for everything you've done." (listen to this story)

"Staff Sergeant Tracy Johnson is an Iraq veteran and an Army widow.
She is also believed to be the first gay spouse to lose her partner at war since the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.
She married her long-time partner, Staff Sergeant Donna Johnson, on Valentines day in 2012.
In October, Donna was killed by a suicide bomber while serving in Khost, Afghanistan.
At StoryCorps, Tracy talked with her mother-in-law, Sandra Johnson, about finding out that their wife and daughter wasn’t coming home."



After listening to this interview with the widow and mom of a fallen soldier, if this doesn't change your heart and mind about why marriage equality matters. I don't know what else would convince you. If DADT wasn't overturned and the family didn't support and accept Donna as Tracy's wife. It would have been a totally different story.

I cried after hearing this story. I'm not a crier.


Everyone deserves to come home.  The gender of the person you love shouldn't keep them from bringing you home.  It's time that same-gender loving relationships are respected, valued, and honored.


No comments: