Wednesday, February 13, 2013
Ash Wednesday 2013
I'm gonna be straight with you, and admit that I've never been a churchy person, even when i was.
I believe church as an institution, has failed us multiple times, and allows evil people to manipulate text in order to oppress people, be it blacks, women, or gays.
But, i was raised catholic, and went to church every sunday, growing up. Lent has always been, and probably will continue to be one of my favorite times of the year.
I have always found the Lenten season a wonderful time, for reflection and to do something different.
In my twenties, lent kind of saved me, during a dark time in my life. Whatever your faith tradition may be, Lent may be something we should all participate in. when it comes down to it, i was motivated to commit to giving something up for 40 days & 40 nights. I actually was able to commit and stick with it, and it proved something to me, about myself. I've continued the tradition ever since.
As i've become older, I realize you don't have to deny yourself something, you can also add something good to your life. I stopped eating sugar and added exercising, for example.
What I did last year, and what I will continue to do this year, is 40 Acts of Kindness (random or not). A couple years ago, I sent out 40 thank you cards, you might have received one of them.
In the act of "doing" something, it changes us more than in the act of "not" doing something. Last year, after a sad break up, it was really helpful and restorative. We go through times, when we just feel terrible, beat down, unlovable, and unforgivable. If the church means what they say about this time of the year, as a time of reflection, meditation, and resurrection, well, why not just run with that.
We as a community can do better. There is a lot of hurt, and suffering in the world and we turn away because it makes us unhappy or uncomfortable. I believe, if we actively open our hearts to our own suffering and others, we can change the world. If we can see our own mistakes, learn from them, and move forward, we can change the world. If we can change ourselves, we can change the world.
“Human potential is amazing...We have the capacity to create a world that is peaceful...one that spreads kindness and love rather than hatred. If we believe it to be so, it will be our truth, and we will create it.” ― Kristi Bowman, Journey to One: A Woman's Story of Emotional Healing and Spiritual Awakening
40 Acts of Kindness. 40 days. No big deal.
Day 1: Bought lunch for one of RPD's finest. Good company. Good Food. #40ActsLentKindness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment