Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day 19 & 20: 40 Days & 40 Nights of Lenten Kindness

“It was character that got us out of bed, commitment that moved us into action, and discipline that enabled us to follow through.” - Zig Ziglar

Lent Day 19: We sometimes forget how important people are in our life until they are gone. I work with an amazing group of people in the various organizations I'm affiliated with. I know, I would not be able to reach the community, and accomplish the goals that I have without the tireless efforts, time, and talents of many gifted and wonderful people. Social justice work can sometimes feel like a lonely place to be, when the going gets tough, I am sometimes left alone and the tough get going.

I have learned not to be so sad about the folks who do decide to leave or step aside. I am starting to understand the places others have left vacant will be filled by just as if not more amazing and talented people, who are all willing to be "fools for justice." I am proud to do the work I do knowing that I have strong people besides me wanting to fight the good fight! "Sí, se puede!!!"

Lent Day 20: I went to a workshop today called "Interpersonal Social Rhythm Theory" I go to various events, conferences, workshops, meetings, and trainings to learn everything I can about interpersonal relationships, and dealing with people who struggle with various adversities/diversities including mental health issues. I have lived with depression my whole life, and will confess that I have had suicidal thoughts from when I was 13 to 32, and have spent many, many years in therapy to deal with my depression. I truly understand the struggles folks have who are diagnosed with serious forms of depression, anxiety, bi-polar, or other mental illnesses.

Learning the tools I learned in this 1-hour session gave me an opportunity to see how much people want to be healthy and well. There are times we aren't healthy and well, and we can add to not doing what is needed to get us back to being healthy. I was glad that I went to this session, I understand more about where I am at - mentally & emotionally. I have to say I have never felt more mentally healthy than I do today. I will also confess that if I didn't have depression, I don't think I would be as self-reflective, compassionate, or as empathetic as I am today.

It's always important to choose healthy relationships with people that understand you and can get where you are coming from. That is something I am reminded everyday, by the people who love me, for me. I also need to love me for me, and to love others where they are at, just the way they are.

No comments: